Did you silently gasp? Are you going to close the browser window? This word seems to make people so uncomfortable. You’re not supposed to talk openly about being a virgin; it’s just not something that people discuss. Yet popularizing and celebrating a person’s daily sexual exploits is perfectly accepted and even encouraged. In fact, the more sexual partners one has, the more respected they seem to be!
Today’s society mocks the very idea of sexual purity. Popular movies like “The 40 Year Old Virgin” send a clear message: Virgin = Loser. If you’ve never had sex, there is something very wrong with you. As such, a huge amount of shame and inadequacy accompanies the title.
But how did this happen? Since when did a lack of sexual experience equate a lack of character? Why does the decision to abstain from having sex warrant less respect than the decision to be promiscuous?
Call me crazy but I happen to think that society has it backwards. I decided at a young age to refrain from having sex until I was married and I can honestly say that I am proud to be a virgin. In fact, I actually think it’s pretty darn cool! This post is dedicated to everybody that has made the choice to go against the grain of society and who isn’t ashamed of being part of the Big V Club.
That being said, I am in NO way condemning anybody that isn’t a virgin; I simply want to shed a little bit of light on a less popular perspective. So, here it is:
Top 10 Reasons why it’s COOL to be a virgin until marriage:
1. Mary was a virgin when she gave birth to the Saviour of the world… pretty epic.
2. You’ll never have to relate to the horrible feeling of giving your heart, mind, body and soul to somebody only to be dumped for the next best thing.
3. STD’s… need I say more?
4. Girls – you don’t have an anxiety attack if your period is 3 days late.
5. The Jonas Brothers wear purity rings to represent their commitment to remain virgins until marriage, and they’re SUPER cool… right?
6. The word ‘virgin’ is derived from the Latin word ‘vireo’ meaning ‘flourishing’. To flourish means ‘to thrive, to prosper, to be in one’s prime.” Don’t mind if I do.
7. You can take pride in knowing you didn’t succumb to the pressures of society and you maintained your own set of values.
8. You will have a VERY special, unparalleled gift to give your future spouse.
9. You’ll never run the risk of attaching your self-esteem, value or worth to the number of sexual conquests you’ve had.
10. God demands a perfect sacrifice from us and instructs that we reserve sex for the Holy union of marriage. Being a virgin until that day means living a life that is pleasing to God. Seems like a pretty worthwhile goal to me.
So there you have it; my thoughts on the advantages of being a virgin until marriage. I would LOVE to hear what you have to say. Do you think that it’s a waste of time to maintain sexually purity until you’re married? Or is it cool to be a virgin?
Going against the grain,